Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mr. Darcy - what's all the hype?

I've begun to think that all the women that are head over heels for Mr. Darcy haven't ready any other Austen books other than Pride and Prejudice. He's quite challenging to be sure, and hey, everyone that knows me knows I dearly love a good challenge and can be quite persistent. (Just tell me it won't happen. I dare ya.) Here's the thing about Mr. Darcy: you never know where you stand. I get quite enough of that in real life, thank you. If I'm going to choose an imaginary nineteenth century hottie, you better believe I wouldn't choose one that keeps me clueless.

Go read Persuasion. (Captain Wentworth, I'll marry you. You don't even have to get rich first! I swear, he has got to be my favorite Austen man. "He had nothing but himself to recommend him." Oh my.)

Go read Sense and Sensibility. (I read an essay that called the match between Marianne and Colonel Brandon insipid. Are you freaking kidding me?!? He teaches a 17 year old girl how to get over herself. He's a miracle worker This is one instance in which you should definitely watch the movie. The Emma Thompson one. Just the shot where Colonel Brandon sees Marianne for the first time was enough for me to lose my heart to a way too old for me Alan Rickman. I got my heart back when he showed up as Severus Snape. Hot he's not in the Harry Potter movies.)


Go read Mansfield Park. (I dare you to find a more encouraging, kind, principled man than Edmund. Yes, he may falter a little bit when a pretty girl is involved, but when she shows herself to be a morally bankrupt priss (now I ain't saying she's a gold digger...) he completely and voluntarily gives her up, sees the error of his ways and falls in love with Fanny Price, who almost succeeded in changing the morally bankrupt gold digger's even more morally bankrupt brother.)

Go read Northanger Abbey. (Mr. Tilney is sweet, kind, intelligent, honorable, funny, flirtatious, encouraging, a great dancer, and tells you when you're being completely stupid - but only when you deserve it a whole, whole lot. Then he marries you because you're just so darned fabulous in spite of your stupidity.)

And please, please go read Emma. (If you ever happen to meet a man like Mr. Knightley, bring him to me immediately. Oh my goodness. Gorgeous, rich, kind, funny, intelligent, a good friend, keeps you accountable for your actions... take away rich and I still want to know if he exists. If he does, can I have him for Christmas?)

No comments:

Post a Comment